Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Save the magnolia...

I'm venting here because I don't know what else to do, I promised him I wouldn't say another word about it to him. But i'm sitting here in tears. Frustrated. Sad. Angry.

We're building a fence. To keep the boys in. To keep a dog in (if we ever get one). The city says we have to come 25' in from our property line. Seriously? 25 feet! That's a whole lot of lost backyard. The major "issue" facing us (once I got over the whole 3000 square feet that we are losing, yep, that's 120 feet x 25 feet, I did the math) is that our magnolia is 25' 4" in from the property line. We could ask for a variance. Two feet is all we need. Heck, one would probably work. He doesn't want to do it. "It'll be a month and they might decide we can't have one anyway." I want that beautiful tree in the backyard where the boys can climb it. Where I can see it in all its glory in April. To continue to make our backyard look like the oasis I want it to look like. So how do we have both? I found this online:


Here's what our tree looks like:

Isn't she pretty? It's ours, we should be able to enjoy it. I can't think right now. I just wish one of the following would happen:
a) He'd decide we should wait and try to get a variance.
b) The city would call us and say, "Hey, we realize that tree is a problem, go ahead and take a couple extra feet."
c) God would help me feel peace with going another two feet in and keeping it on the outside of the fence.
d) I had a landscape designer friend.
e) I had blog readers to help me think "outside the box" on this problem.

Thanks for listening. I guess time will tell. But time doesn't wait and he's digging on Saturday.

No comments: